Viral pharyngitis has always been among the most common diseases throughout history. Is Pharyngitis Contagious? Yes, it is a contagious disease and spreads very quickly. Also, when it is infected, just as it makes you feel very bad, it can be spread to people around you because it is contagious. We need to be very careful when we have the symptoms. In this article I will talk about the definition of viral pharyngitis, symptoms and the treatment.
It is a type of acute pharyngitis and caused by a virus infection. Therefore, if the cause of the infection is viruses, it is called viral pharyngitis. However if the cause of the infection is bacteria, it is called bacterial pharyngitis.
Adenovirus is the most common viral cause. Adenoviruses are the causative agents of infections in public life areas However, viruses such as influenza, parainfluenza, rhinovirus, coronavirus, EBV, HSV, herpes and simplex are also among the causes.
Adult age group, 90% of pharyngitis, child age group 60-75% of pharyngitis occurs with viral infection.
The majority of non-severe viral pharyngitis is caused by rhinovirus and coronavirus.
Influenza is seen in all age groups, parainfluenza in children, and EBV and HSV in young adults.
Symptoms are not just about the throat. Symptoms such as;
- Sore throat, burning, dry feeling, itching
- Burning in the throat
- Difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia)
- Fever and silence
- Runny nose
can be seen.
You may want to read all pharyngitis symptoms.
Antibiotics are often useless because they are viral infections. It is treated with medicines such as garglers, sprayers, painkillers. This is called symptomatic treatment.
Antibiotics will not be beneficial for pharangeitis caused by viruses. However, antibiotics are given during serious infections or when the immune system is very weak.
In addition, the conditions to be taken care of in pharyngitis can be listed as follows:
- Rest at least a few days.
- Do not smoke and drink alcohol.
- Not being in dusty places and dirty air. Ventilate the environment.
- Avoid from too hot and too cold food and drinks.
- Keep yourself as warm as possible.
- Stay away from the factors that cause allergy.
- In refluxed patients, drinking tea and coffee in the evening and eating too much, avoiding acidic and spicy foods and drinks.
- Not try to clean the throat by coughing.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent the dryness of the throat.
- Gargling with salt water can relieve sore throat.
As a result, viral pharyngitis is a very serious disease. The specifications are clear and sudden. In addition, chronic pharyngitis may develop and treatment may not be possible. That’s why I advise you to be as careful as possible.